Elevator Entrapment is a very uncommon occurrence, but due to the fact that it is a mechanical device, failure is possible. Therefore, preparedness to deal with this type of emergency is necessary.
The following procedure is to be used if you become trapped in an elevator:
- Remain calm.
- Alert security immediately upon receiving any calls via the emergency communication system/alarm button located on the elevator panel inside the elevator cab.
- Do not attempt to pry open doors.
- Do not attempt to crawl out or jump from elevator cab. Do not attempt to use the overhead hatch.
- An elevator mechanic will be called to secure elevator cab for safe exit.
- If 911 is called via cell phone, please also immediately contact security at (404) 654-1285 so that proper procedures can be applied in facilitating emergency response units to needed locations.
- Remember to stay calm and communicate with others via talking intercom use or cell phone during elevator entrapment. By following the above listed procedures and knowing every effort is being made by management to facilitate a safe exit from elevator entrapment here at Peachtree Center.